Monday, November 1, 2010

MWF seeks BNI

No, I'm not placing an ad for a Brawny Nude Intern, as interesting as that sounds. Rather, I'm a married writing female searching for a brand new idea. For another novel. Got one?

In the past couple of weeks I've thought of six: two turned out to be short stories now sitting on my hard drive. The other four, well, they have potential. But they need to prove themselves to the judge. So this week I'm working on pitches.

I would guess most people write pitches under duress, with the goal of finding an agent or publisher. I'm writing four this week with the intention to pitch...myself. Perhaps that makes me masochistic. I don't know.

See, I'm a planner. I just HAD to know both my kids' genders before they were born. I research vacation destinations for months and months before making a single reservation, mulling over all possible scenarios. I like to know where I'm going before I start. Plans can change, of course, but I'd rather punch in a GPS destination and have it re-route than just get in the car and drive.

My four contestants will rehearse and make themselves pretty for my own personal American Idol: New Novel Edition. They must be nervous. I'm much more like Simon than Paula.

How do you vet new ideas? Do you just jump in?

12 comments:

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Great post! I haven't had to think of a brilliant new idea since I started working on my YA novel last year. However, I believe I'll need one soon!

I'm the opposite of you - I'm a pantser. I sit down and write with little idea where I'm headed. I like to be surprised.

Good luck to the four contestants. Tell them the Evening Gown and Swimsuit competitions are important, but the Talent category is key. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure, wendy, but i think you might have something there with the Brawny Nude Intern. (something to think about.)

Mother Hen said...

I too am the planner. I even plan when I am Not going to do something. Sad really but well organized. Have you tried searching the web for newspaper stories from small town America. Sometimes big things can come from small towns.

WendyCinNYC said...

Debra--I have nothing but respect for pantsers. GL!

whaddya--I'm sure my husband would have NO problem with a naked guy fetching my coffee and dry cleaning all day. NONE AT ALL.

Mother Hen--That's a great idea! I'll need to get on that while small town newspapers still exist.

Unknown said...

Hey Wendy - I have always been a pantser but have just run a few ideas by my incredibly talented writing group... we spent a long weekend brainstorming each other's ideas and it created the most amazing characters and plot lines.

I only wish they were local so we could brainstorm on a regular basis.

Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I've been fortunate that my ideas have sprung into my head, and my current wip it itching to be a series. Oy.

I'm a planner too, so I know how frustrating that can be. I hope you settle on one soon!

ZoomGoes said...

I just jump in and write whatever comes to my mind. Yes, it's a little disorganized, and yes it does need to be ruthlessly edited, but somehow it always seems to flow together. This is november so.. check out NaNoWriMo and will force the ideas right out of you! >.o

Chandler Craig said...

Are you going ahead and pitching to your agent or just yourself? I play around with ideas and have a word document with a bunch of potential ones, but when it's the right one, I just sort of know. I finally hit the right idea a couple weeks ago, so now I'm just letting myself take it slow. We're both on sub! The nice part of that is we can take our time at least a little bit I think?

yu said...

I hope you'll have a good luck.
I'm always with you.

Allie said...

I do a bunch of writing exercises, or just get moody and crabby and introspective until something catches me the right way and I suddenly have an idea. It's nice that you're doing that - I think having a couple ideas to play with is a good thing.

colbymarshall said...

I have to let new ideas simmer a little to make sure I have some kind of direction, then I just go for it. You can do it...I have faith!

Rebecca Laffar-Smith said...

I tend to let my ideas unfold. I give myself time to brainstorm and see if the story or the characters have an initial spark that means there is something more there. I've also found some ideas lead into others. My current WIP has spawned ideas for a prequel and at least one, probably more, sequels which will keep me happily busy for a long time to come.

I like the idea of considering idea evaluation like American Idol. Auditioning your ideas and characters is a great way to think of the elimination and judging of our thoughts and stories. There are some ideas that just won't make the cut. Others have so much radiant talent we can't take our eyes off them.

I hope your shining star leaps onto the forward stage for you soon and that the adventure of discovering her talent and potential brings you great joy. :-)