Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bring it, Bill.


You know those idiots you see on the news, checking out the dangerous waves just before a hurricane comes? Yeah, that's me. Hurricane Bill is (way) offshore today and he's kicking up some huge swells. 

We went out to Flying Point this morning and there was NO beach left. The wooden steps to the sand went directly down into churning water--plus one of the lifeguard stands was in danger of floating away. 

So what do we do? Drive to the Montauk Point lighthouse to check out some EVEN BIGGER and MORE DANGEROUS waves. Of course, also like an idiot, I didn't bring my camera. The photo above is captured from another site. It was sunny today, so just picture some crashing waves.

There must have been, I don't know, a hundred surfers out there in the 12 ft waves and they were amazing to see. Although being a mommy has ruined me for watching risky activities. I was stressed the entire time "Watch it! Oh! He's going to run into that guy! Be careful! Hey, be safe out there!" ("OMG, mom, shhh!") And no, I wasn't about to let my daughter out there with her board. These were grown men and women. We watched from the cliffs. 

Crazy!


7 comments:

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Don't you love watching surfers? I grew up on Long Island and lived in Huntington Beach for awhile, and I never got tired of watching the surfers. We'll be at the Jersey shore over Labor Day Weekend - I can't wait!!!

WendyCinNYC said...

Huntington Beach, CA? I lived there for a while too! In some junky apartment near the beach with a roommate who was a bodybuilder. (Roommate, NOT boyfriend. Not not not.)

Angie Ledbetter said...

Glad Bill didn't come calling too close to y'all!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

We don't generally get big waves in our bay, but when we do you can bet there are people surfing. I'm always worried about them because of the rocks!

Ladybird World Mother said...

Wow. Would love to have seen those waves. From a safe distance... am just a tad cautious.

WendyCinNYC said...

I'm cautious too. Believe me--I respect the ocean. Some people out there were clueless (not the surfers, but people wandering into the waves). I heard a woman got killed that afternoon in Montauk, fishing on some rocks. Apparently a wave took her out. Sad.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

That's where Chuck and I lived when we were first together. And, yeah, in a junky apartment near the beach!

I swear to God my wv is: mismolly
Good golly!