Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just a Little Summer Reading

I'm taking a couple of weeks off from thinking about writing. Knowing me, I'll pick up my "finished" manuscript again and find some more tweaks, but right now, fuggetaboutit. Since this blog is intended to be about writing and whatever, I'll stay slightly on topic and let you know about some good books I've read lately. 

For kids.

My kids still love for me to read to them, even though they can both read themselves (and they do that, too.) I suppose I'll keep the nightly routine of reading for 30 minutes or so until they tell me to stop. Or they go off to college.

My girls are 9 and 6, and I typically read to both of them at once. But not always. So some books on the list are for slightly older kids as well, since my oldest tends to like "older" books. (They still have to pass the mom test. She's not reading Gossip Girl.)

I'll leave off most of the classics, since you probably know them anyway. I like all the Judy Blume and anything by Roald Dahl or EB White. 

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows (So freaking cute. I love these.)
Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards
Girls to the Rescue Series by Bruce Lansky
The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
Warriors Series by Erin Hunter (About tribes of wild cats. Naomi recommends this highly.)
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Koningsburg (My daughter's class read this in school, then walked down the street to the Met and acted it out. Very cool. It's an interesting book.)
The American Girl "History Mysteries" are actually pretty good. My 6 y.o. loves books about history, especially when they are girl-centered. Her favorite book to read on her own is The Battle for St. Michaels by Emily Arnold McCully. I had to look up facts about the War of 1812 to explain it to her. I couldn't remember much of anything! This is why I stink at Trivial Pursuit.
And I just have to add A Wrinkle in Time because my older daughter loved it, and I loved reading it again.
 
So that's what the Cebula girls are into. Do you have any favorites to add?


10 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I LOVED Indian in the Cupboard growing up! I need to read that one again.

Clair said...

Your kids would probably like Mr. Popper's Penguins, Pippi Longstocking, Harriet the Spy, the Litte House books, The Cabin Faced West, Later Gator to just name a few.

fairyhedgehog said...

My younger son was older than nine when I stopped reading to him every night. He could read perfectly well but it was fun sharing books.

I think I could have gone on indefinitely - I always enjoyed bedtime reading.

WendyCinNYC said...

Spy--Indian in the Cupboard was a good one. I wasn't as wild about the sequel, but it was still okay.

Thanks for the recommendations, Clair. Harriet the Spy is one of my favorites. A must-read for any Manhattan kid.

Glad you stopped by, fairlyhedgehog. I enjoy bedtime reading, too.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

The Other Side is a children's book? *rethinks current wip's title*

I can't give you suggestions but as a child I loved a couple that you listed.

WendyCinNYC said...

Melanie--Oh, that's right. That's your working title. I just googled it and it's also the title of a movie that's coming out soon. Darn.

Janna Leadbetter said...

I remember The Indian in the Cupboard, too!

When your youngest gets a little older, she may enjoy Summer of My German Soldier. I read it in the sixth grade, and it's still one of my favorites!

Granted, my girls are still younger than yours, but we really like The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

WendyCinNYC said...

Thanks, Janna. I haven't read that one.

Melissa Amateis said...

I think it's a great way to wind down the day and connect with your kids by reading books right before bed. My daughter and I have done this for quite awhile now, although we took a break during the summer.

We read a Juni B. Jones book a few months ago, though, and really loved it. But I also am a HUGE fan of the Bear Books by Karma Wilson. They are just a delight!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Ah, that's ok. I have an idea for an alternate anyway. :)