Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting it together

Yeah, I know. I've been a crappy blogger. Update your blog, Wendy! Slacker. Truth is, it's been pretty slow around here and although I'm a little sad summer is ending, I'm happy to be getting back to a fall schedule soon. As some of you may know, I spend the majority of the summer outside of New York City. I'm SO happy to be going back this week. 

So I've been trying to get my sh*t together long distance. Not the easiest thing, but that's okay. To me, September feels like the beginning of the year. Maybe that's because NYC is that way, or maybe it's just because my kids are on a school calendar. I dunno. But I did find some helpful School Year Resolutions over at To Pass the Torch. 

I don't really have any kid-related resolutions, being that I'm the perfect mom (Ha!), but I do have some writing and non-writing related resolutions for myself:

1. Even though I haven't started my new WIP, write every day. Even if it's just a few words on a flash fiction piece. It makes me feel productive.

2. Jump in head first about getting an agent. Quit making excuses for putting it off. 

3. Say "no" more often when asked to volunteer for something I don't really want to do. 

4. Make more of an effort to get together with friends. Sometimes I can't be bothered, but it really does keep me sane. 

That's enough for me. How about you?




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The calendar in my head begins in September. Always has. January is mid-year. July and August are floaters.

My resolution is my new schedule/routine. I've agonized over it for weeks, wanting to start with something I could stick with. I actually posted about it today, because so far so good (3 whole days!)

WendyCinNYC said...

Amy-- Your schedule sounds a lot like what I plan to do this fall. With the exception of:

8:00 pm: Extra large glass of wine

P.S. Your blog is pretty.

Janna Leadbetter said...

I'm gonna steal all of yours, except edit #3 to be "say yes to my daughters more often." Good list! And good luck getting back into the swing of things. :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

PS. Amy, you DO have a very pretty blog. :)

WendyCinNYC said...

I could probably do more of that, too, Janna. Sometimes my daughters must feel like they live in the House of No.

Anonymous said...

I've always loved that September feeling.

Regarding saying "no" to some volunteer efforts, back in another life when I was an at-home mom, I had to teach myself that "no" was my friend. I got so involved in so many things (community, and public schools) that I hardly realized my life was being swallowed up. It's okay to say no now and then.

Your blog is good reading, smoothly written too. Love the aerial pic of the city.

WendyCinNYC said...

Alison (I like the pen name!)

Thanks!

Lemme practice for the fall school season:

"Wendy can you--" NO
"Wendy would you like to chair the--" NO
"Wendy you are so good at--" NO, NO I'M NOT

How's that?

colbymarshall said...

1.) finish unpacking boxes
2.) work on my scrapbook which I'm a whole YEAR behind on!
3.) get agent. However, it's not like I haven't been trying. I figure though, maybe if I list it as if it's something I can just say and have happen, it will ;-)

WendyCinNYC said...

Colby:

Perhaps if we put it in print, that will make it so.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Joanne said...

I love September too. There's a change in the air that feels inspiring. Totally agree with your Resolution #1. It bothers me if writing gets away from me for any length of time. BTW, also love your aerial pic of ny!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hey, never thought of making resolutions in the fall. Good way of fending off the January 1st failures.

To Fall and new beginnings (or old finishings). ;)

WendyCinNYC said...

My January 1 failures all seem to have something to do with how much I ate over the holidays. These seem less destructive to the old self esteem.

Thanks for stopping by, Joanne and Angie!