Monday, August 4, 2008

Call + Response

Sorry I've been radio silent for the last few days. We had guests staying with us for the weekend and I was too busy playing Little Miss Hostess. And--get this--I've actually been working on my WIP. Shocker!

My friend Cindy from Miami sent me this link about a new documentary coming out this September highlighting the abuses of the slave trade. Did you know that there are more slaves now than ever before in human history? And that slave traders make more money than Google, Nike, and Starbucks combined? Shameful.

I can't seem to get my blog to embed today, so please click on this YouTube link for Call + Response.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for this link. As depressing as the topic is, it is sure to be an eye opener.

WendyCinNYC said...

Yes, I knew this kind of thing went on, but I didn't realize how big of an "industry" it is.

Anonymous said...

I learned about how big the industry is when Natalie Halloway went missing. A possibility thrown about that she was sold into slavery.

colbymarshall said...

That's scary! I watched a Lifetime movie a while back based on a true story about a girl sold into slavery when she was kidnapped...scared the living daylights out of me.

Ed Wyrd said...

I didn't even realize slavery still existed. Shows how naive I am.

WendyCinNYC said...

Yes, it's pretty awful. The video says that children sell for less then cattle in India. Often it's the parents themselves selling their kids (everywhere, not just India). I can't even fathom that, or fathom what kind of existence one must live in to consider such a thing.

Anonymous said...

heifer.org is a great organization where donors can buy farm animals for the poor. when parents have a floc of chicks sometimes they don't have to put their girls into slavery.

imagine that. one freaking floc can save a girl's life.

and the cost to the donor? only $20.

WendyCinNYC said...

AC--

Heifer is a good one, as is kiva.org. My kids like to pick the businesses we help through Kiva.