Wednesday, November 19, 2008

If writing causes mental illness, I'm in serious trouble

Or maybe it's that one has to already BE mentally ill to write (or, more specifically, attempt to become published.) I dunno. But lately I've been experiencing symptoms that MUST be like what manic/depressives go through.

There are days when I walk around thinking I am a GREAT writer! Soon, fame and fortune will be mine...ALL MINE!* I even allow myself to think about who might be a good actress to play my MC in the movie version of my wildly-successful book. (If I can convince Phoebe Cates to come out of retirement, she'd be perfect. She runs a store down the street from me and she still looks fantastic.) I know that's not really how it works, but indulge me here.

And then there are the Why Bother days. Eeyore and I would be great pals (well, if he wasn't just a drawing.) No one cares! Get a real job!

Anyway, as many of you know, I'm in the process of trying to get an agent. Which is not so easy, turns out. I'm happy with my query letter and it's received a good response. My query letter stats are impressive. I have some partials and fulls out, some with agents I would kill to have represent me. But all that means bupkis without an offer. Bupkis!

I guess all these wild ups and downs are still better than just the flat nothing of not trying. And you all will come visit me in the institution, right?




*I'm exaggerating a little here, if that's not clear. My ego is not quite that large.

12 comments:

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, that's GREAT you have partials and fulls out! I'll be crossing my fingers for you that you'll hear good news soon. You are not crazy - but I promise to visit if it's every necessary.

And how cool is that that Phoebe Cates works down the street from you? Maybe if you go in there often enough, by the time the film is ready for pre-production, you can ask her. :)

WendyCinNYC said...

And within minutes of writing about how well my query letter is doing, I read this article:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6614767.html?q=query+letter

D'oh!

WendyCinNYC said...

Melanie--Yes, and she's really sweet as well.

Spy Scribbler said...

Aww, you're in the game! You're playing it! Be proud! I wish I were where you are.

(Depressing article at PW, btw.)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Wendy, that's fantastic! I hadn't realized you'd come so far in your query process. I'll be thinking of you often. Hang in there; you're doing great!

Rachel Burton said...

I'm querying too and going through exactly the same mental roller coaster. (I've mentally typed my post for the Goal and Accomplishment thread for when I land an agent) But it sounds like you're turning heads with your materials and that's huge. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of dream agents with fulls, but I'm trying to forget they exist. Yes, I'm on my way to the padded room too!

Joanne said...

I think too that once you have partials and fulls out, the waiting gets even harder. So it's hard to focus fully on submitting and writing in the meantime. And geat news on your partials/fulls. Fingers crossed for you!

WendyCinNYC said...

Spy--I would think that more agents would start asking for pages to be pasted into the body of the email. Problem solved. And he'll have to find another drinking game.

Janna--Thanks! You hang in there, too!

Rachel--Oh well, at least we can keep each other company in the loony bin.

joanne--Thank you! I'm trying to focus on WIP #2, but it's hard not to think about the status of novel #1.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Go, Wendy girl! You're further along than most writers will ever get. So don't forget that. Submerge yourself in ms #2 and let it roll.

PS Wouldn't it be nice if writers could get their own wing down in that cushy-walled place? Imagine the fun!

colbymarshall said...

I'm not coming to visit you, because I'll be in there WITH you!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, I saw that article in on Janet Reid's post today. Depressing, yes, but the important thing is their decision still rests on the writing.

WendyCinNYC said...

Angie and Colby: It sounds like we will have quite the party going on in our institution.

Melanie: You mean I CAN'T sell my novel based upon my rocking query letter? Dang.